DINFOS.net Hiatus Sept 2008 DINFOS.net Parent Site June 2008 May 2008 April 2008 March 2008 Feb 2008 Jan 2008 Dec. 2007 Page 2 Join Discussion DINFOS' Future Nov 2007 Oct 2007 Sept 2007 August 2007 July 2007 June 2007 May 2007 April 2007 Mar 2007 Feb 2007 Jan 2007 Dec 2006 Nov 2006 Oct 2006 Who We Are Now DINFOS Staff E-Networking Award Winning Memorial Page Internet Links Linking To Us Amusing License Plates Many Surveys Your Opinion Here DINFOS Itself Active Duty Buddy System Memory Test BJC 7-84 BJC 9-84 BJC 10-84 BJC 3-88 BJC 3-95 BJC 01-98 BJC 8-98 BJC 050-00 BJC 060-00 Sgt. Charles Moore BPAS-W 030-04 BPAS-W 060-04 BPAS-W 080-04 BPAS-B 080-04 BPAS-W 090-04 BPAS 030-05 BBC 7-84 BBC 6-88 BBC 4-94 VPD 030-05 S.I.T.E. CCTV EJ AFTV AFRTS EDC 070-05 PAOC 4-84 PAOC 2-92 PAOQC 050-07 BMC 1-83 Chess Playing DINFOS.net Host Anti-spam Site Map HTTP 404 Not Found e-mail me

Army Medics Save</br>Air Force Broadcaster's Life Army Medics Save
Air Force Broadcaster's Life

Air Force Print News | July 09, 2007

FORWARD OPERATING BASE MURRAY, Iraq -- The quick actions of Army medics following a June 28 mortar attack here proved critical in helping save an Air Force broadcaster's life.

Tech. Sgt. Jeramie Brown (left), an Air Force broadcaster with a news team at Forward Operating Base Murray was injured from shrapnel from a mortar and two Soldiers quickly responded to care for the Airman.

"I saw the flash from behind the door," said Army Spc. Joseph O'Brien, who was exiting the latrine. "I knew it was close."

His fellow medic, Army Spc. Paul Brown, was nearby in the make-shift emergency room in the house once owned by Baath Arab Socialist Party officials during Saddam Hussein's regime, which had been converted into a command center for military members at the base on the banks of the Tigris River. He didn't wait for anyone to confirm the blast he heard was a close mortar hit -- he just knew there was a potential for injuries.

"I could tell from the sound that it hit in the back and I knew there were people back there," Specialist O'Brien said. "So I just took off."

Both medics, assigned to the 1st Battalion, 30th Infantry Regiment here, arrived at the blast site to find Sergeant Brown down on a cot, his legs torn up by shrapnel that had projected out of the mortar.

Specialist Brown said he remembered seeing Master Sgt. Jim Varhegyi, the news team photographer, and Capt. Stephan Edwards, an executive officer visiting the Air Force joint tactical air controllers here, applying direct pressure with their hands to Sergeant Brown's wounds. Without hesitation, he leapt onto the cot, digging his knees into Sergeant Brown's thighs to provide additional pressure.

"It was really just an automatic response for me," he said. "We get so much training and so many injuries out here; you just go, especially when there is such a large amount of blood."

After applying tourniquets to Sergeant Brown's legs to stop the bleeding, the medics, along with Sergeant Varhegyi and Captain Edwards, rushed him to the emergency room. Other 1/30th medics and doctors prepped him for an emergency medical evacuation. In less than an hour after the mortar hit, Sergeant Brown was in surgery in a Baghdad field hospital where it was determined that a chunk of shrapnel severed a large vein in his left leg, amongst other injuries to his shins. His prognosis was good, because of the quick care he received in the field.

"This was the second mortar injury in two weeks here," Specialist O'Brien said. "But also my first Air Force injury."

The two Soldiers, who have been in country for a few months, said it was just another day on the job for them, and that it doesn't matter what branch of service or nationality their patients come from.

"Since I've been out here, I've treated a lot of Soldiers, as well as some of our Iraqi detainees and injured civilians," Specialist Brown said. "In my mind, if a person needs medical care, they need medical care and it is my job to give them that care to the best of my ability with respect and professionalism."

In the time they've been deployed here, they've seen a variety of injuries, from severe trauma to head colds or infected cuts. They also pointed out that self-aid and buddy care has proven its worth in nearly every traumatic situation.

"(SABC) has definitely made our jobs easier," said Specialist O'Brien, who has deployed twice to Iraq. "In most cases, there are no medics around right away, so the peers are doing everything they need to do. It's helping a lot."

He said that while they sometimes see disturbing situations, his training has helped, and his noncommissioned officers and platoon leaders create a supportive environment within the stressful location.

"We're like a family out here," he said. "We wind down by playing chess or watching movies. We're open with each other, so we talk about the stress of being out here. We have a lot of medics; some even go out with the security teams, and so we try to look out for each other."

Just hours after Sergeant Brown was evacuated from the FOB, the medics were already preparing for their next potential patients as Soldiers rolled out the gate as part of a major security offensive in the local villages. The medics sterilized equipment and ensured enough room and litters were available to accommodate possible injuries.

"When a patient comes in, he's usually terrified and scared he is going to die," Specialist O'Brien said. "But when his face relaxes, when he's calm, that makes me smile. That's when I know I've earned his trust. He trusts that I, and my team, will work hard to save his life."

Copyright 2007 Air Force Print News.

McRill, Robert Richard, MC1, USN, R.I.P.

(R.I.P. July 7, 2007 at 42) Petty Officer First Class Robert Richard McRill died from a detonated IED near his Humvee, while serving with The Naval Special Warfare Group Two (a SEAL team based in Little Creek, Va.) in Iraq on July 7.

Hampton Roads NewsChannel 3, WTKR.com reports that "McRill enlisted in the Navy March 5, 1991, and graduated from Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes, Ill., in May before reporting to Naval Air Technical Training Center. He then spent three years at Naval Air Station Dallas, and reported to the Defense Photo School in Pensacola, Fla.  McRill was aboard USS John C. Stennis from June to November of 1995, had a brief tour at Visual Support Unit, Oceana, before serving aboard USS Theodore Roosevelt, homeported in Norfolk, from November 1996 to January 2002. He reported to another aircraft carrier, USS Eisenhower, also home-ported in Norfolk, where he was promoted to first class petty officer. He was then assigned to Naval Expeditionary Combat Command Detachment, Combat Camera Atlantic from February 2004 to April 2007 when he arrived at Naval Special Warfare Group Two, accorrding to a biography provided by the Navy."

"His awards include the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (three awards), Navy Ribbon, Good Conduct Medal (4 awards), Kosovo Campaign Medal, NATO Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Armed Forces Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment ribbon (3 awards), Rifleman (Marksman) ribbon and Pistol Shot (Marksman) ribbon.  He was also an Enlisted Surface Warfare Specialist and Enlisted Air Warfare Specialist."

"McRill is survived by his wife and three children."

Memorial guestbook available at http://www.legacy.com/GB/GuestBookView.aspx?PersonID=90394901

General Bussey Funeral Date Set General Bussey Funeral Date Set

(R.I.P. June 22, 2007 at 73) Major General Charles D. Bussey, Former Chief of Army Public Affairs and Class of 2000 Army Public Affairs Hall of Fame Inductee.

While a private family service was held last month, the Washington Post obituary announces that "The family will receive friends Thursday August 30, 2007 from 6 to 8
p.m. at the Demaine Funeral Home, 5308 Backlick Rd., Springfield, VA 22151, and a funeral service will be held on Friday August 31, 2007 at 9 a.m.in the Fort Myer Old Post Chapel, burial will follow with Full Military Honors in Arlington National Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Army ROTC Scholarship Fund at North Carolina A&T State University, Greensboro, NC."

Memorial guestbook available at http://www.legacy.com/washingtonpost/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=89746325

"General Bussey was one of the top advocates for a stronger and better DINFOS and fought hard to get increased funding for the organization through his many years of service. He also supported the development of a stronger print media section for the Army and over the years contributed much to the future development of [the service magazine] Soldier," says Dr. Jack Pulwers, author of "The Press of Battle" and the person who forwarded the news of the general's passing."


94,546,719 domains registered


This website/podcast is independent from DINFOS [The Defense Information School], national militaries and governments.


|DINFOS.net Hiatus| |Sept 2008| |DINFOS.net Parent Site| |June 2008| |May 2008| |April 2008| |March 2008| |Feb 2008| |Jan 2008| |Dec. 2007| |Page 2| |Join Discussion| |DINFOS' Future| |Nov 2007| |Oct 2007| |Sept 2007| |August 2007| |July 2007| |June 2007| |May 2007| |April 2007| |Mar 2007| |Feb 2007| |Jan 2007| |Dec 2006| |Nov 2006| |Oct 2006| |Who We Are Now| |DINFOS Staff| |E-Networking| |Award Winning| |Memorial Page| |Internet Links| |Linking To Us| |Amusing| |License Plates| |Many Surveys| |Your Opinion Here| |DINFOS Itself| |Active Duty| |Buddy System| |Memory Test| |BJC 7-84| |BJC 9-84| |BJC 10-84| |BJC 3-88| |BJC 3-95| |BJC 01-98| |BJC 8-98| |BJC 050-00| |BJC 060-00| |Sgt. Charles Moore| |BPAS-W 030-04| |BPAS-W 060-04| |BPAS-W 080-04| |BPAS-B 080-04| |BPAS-W 090-04| |BPAS 030-05| |BBC 7-84| |BBC 6-88| |BBC 4-94| |VPD 030-05| |S.I.T.E. CCTV| |EJ AFTV| |AFRTS| |EDC 070-05| |PAOC 4-84| |PAOC 2-92| |PAOQC 050-07| |BMC 1-83| |Chess Playing| |DINFOS.net Host| |Anti-spam| |Site Map| |HTTP 404 Not Found|